A report by NBC News last month indicates hundreds of relatives of the victims of 9/11 asked President Biden not to attend memorial events until he declassified documents pertaining to the terrorist attacks.
Nearly 1,800 September 11 survivors, first responders, and victims’ family members asked Biden to skip the events over his failure to release documents they believe show Saudi government officials had a role in the attacks.
At the time they argued that the President had ignored their letters and requests to be transparent on the matter, something he pledged as a presidential candidate.
“We cannot in good faith, and with veneration to those lost, sick, and injured, welcome the president to our hallowed grounds until he fulfills his commitment,” the group collectively wrote.
Just days after the letter from 9/11 families became public, the Justice Department announced they would conduct a fresh review of files related to the terrorist attacks.
Biden at the time praised the DOJ’s move.
“As I promised during my campaign, my Administration is committed to ensuring the maximum degree of transparency under the law,” he said in a statement. “In this vein, I welcome the Department of Justice’s filing today.”
Late last week, the President issued an executive order calling for the wholesale review and declassification of files from the investigation into the 9/11 attack.
The documents, however, will not be released prior to this year’s 9/11 anniversary.
The executive order requires the Attorney General to release the declassified documents “publicly over the next six months.”
Having addressed one matter, President Biden now faces others who still believe he has no business attending 9/11 memorials.
Much of the dispute arises from the President’s botched troop withdrawal from Afghanistan.
Washington Post columnist Marc Thiessen writes that Biden should “stay away” having just become the man “who surrendered to the enemies who attacked us on 9/11.”
“He not only surrendered but did so with dishonor,” Thiessen writes, “leaving stranded behind enemy lines American citizens, legal permanent residents, and the majority of our Afghan allies who risked their lives to help us.”
“Not by accident, mind you. Intentionally,” he added.
The son of a 9/11 victim, Nic Haros Jr., had similar thoughts, blasting Biden for his callous response to 13 service members being killed in Afghanistan last month.
“I am demanding that President Biden do not show his face at Ground Zero on 9/11. It is now holy ground and I really don’t think he has a place there,” he said.
Haros believes Biden’s presence will serve as little more than a photo-op.
“It’s shameful for him, I think, to use the dead bodies as a political prop for his so-called victory lap,” he said.
Kathy McCollum, the grieving mother of United States Marine Rylee McCollum who was killed in last month’s suicide bombing in Afghanistan, had similarly hammered the President for hastily retreating from Afghanistan simply for a photo-op on the 20th anniversary of 9/11.
“I never thought in a million years that he would die for nothing. For nothing,” McCollum said of her son. “Because a feckless dementia-ridden piece of crap wanted a photo-op on September 11.”
Now is the time to support and share the sources you trust.
The Political Insider ranks #16 on Feedspot’s “Top 70 Conservative Political Blogs, Websites & Influencers in 2021.”
By Timothy Schumann (The Center Square) Two members of Congress representing almost the entirety of…
Comedian Adam Carolla eviscerated far-left 'Squad' member Rashida Tlaib after she burst into a hysterical…
I often think back to our Founding Fathers and wonder if they, at any point,…
I'm a birthday person; I spend my birthday doing what I want, watching what I…
Senator Elizabeth Warren sometimes gets excited. And one of the things she gets most excited…
First Son Hunter Biden has seemingly finally admitted his infamous laptop really is his, and…