Stacey Abrams is parroting a line of defense put out by Joe Biden’s campaign to discredit his sexual assault accuser, Tara Reade.
During an interview with CNN Tuesday night, Abrams, who has practically been begging to be selected as Biden’s running mate, echoed campaign talking points in her attack.
“The New York Times did a deep investigation and they found that the accusation was not credible,” Abrams said. “I believe Joe Biden … I know Joe Biden and I think he’s telling the truth and this did not happen.”
The Alleged Incident
Reade made her accusation during a podcast back in March.
“His hands were on me and underneath my clothes,” she recalled, claiming that when the assault was over Biden said, “C’mon man, I heard you liked me.”
Reade filed a criminal complaint with the sexual assault unit of the Washington, DC, Metropolitan Police Department, earlier this month.
Video: On CNN, Stacey Abrams bashes Tara Reade — “I believe that women deserve to be heard….But I also believe that those allegations have to be investigated by credible sources. The New York Times did a deep investigation and they found that the accusation was not credible” pic.twitter.com/mi1QwJfiME
— Curtis Houck (@CurtisHouck) April 29, 2020
Holes In Abrams Argument
Support Conservative Voices!
Sign up to receive the latest political news, insight, and commentary delivered directly to your inbox.
There are a few holes, to say the least, in Abrams argument that the New York Times “deep investigation” is an open and shut case:
- There are, in the end, likely only two people who know the whole truth of the matter – Biden and Reade.
- The Times did not say the accusation “was not credible,” instead reporting that they were unable to find a “pattern of sexual misconduct.”
- Consider the source – The Times also altered the report when Biden’s campaign complained and eliminated the remainder of the sentence which originally claimed: There was “no pattern of sexual misconduct by Biden, beyond hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable.”
- Since that “deep investigation” by the Times, a video has surfaced of her Reade’s mother calling into “Larry King Live” and discussing her daughter’s “problems” getting anyone to listen to complaints involving a prominent senator.
- Two women have also said the story matches what they were told by Reade years ago. It seems relevant to a “deep investigation.”
“I think that he’s telling the truth and that this did not happen.”
Former Democratic Georgia gubernatorial candidate Stacey Abrams said she believes the denial issued by former Vice President Joe Biden’s campaign regarding Tara Reade’s allegation of sexual assault in 1993. pic.twitter.com/fKWmSgWk7V
— CNN Tonight (@CNNTonight) April 29, 2020
Desperate For Attention
Abrams has been desperately auditioning to be Biden’s choice for Vice President, and her comments show she is willingly parroting the campaign as a means to impress.
Biden’s team advised surrogates earlier this month to say flat-out that the allegation “did not happen.”
“Biden believes that all women have the right to be heard and to have their claims thoroughly reviewed. In this case, a thorough review by the New York Times has led to the truth: this incident did not happen,” the talking points read, according to Buzzfeed News.
Almost word-for-word, Abrams has attacked Reade as a liar.
By contrast, in 2018 Abrams said of the specious allegations made by Christine Blasey Ford against Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh:
After the courageous and compelling testimony from Dr. Christine Blasey Ford yesterday, it is shameful that Kavanaugh’s nomination is being rushed forward.
I believe women, and I believe survivors of violence always deserve to be supported and to have their voices heard.
Abrams clearly is not supporting Reade or letting her voice be heard, does not care that Biden’s nomination is going forward without a thorough investigation, and is willing to peddle lies to get ahead.
Her integrity is about as real as her reign as governor of Georgia.
Read this Next on ThePoliticalInsider.comTrump Snaps At Reporter Who Tries To Corner Him With False Data: ‘Nobody Knows Who The Hell You Are!’