Politics is more divided than ever, and the polarization has almost been exclusively on one side of the ideological spectrum. It’s all in reaction to President Trump.
Take immigration as an example. Just a decade ago, the Secure Fence Act of 2006, a bill authorizing the construction of 700 miles of fencing along the U.S.-Mexican border, passed the Senate 80-19. Among those voting in favor were Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, Chuck Schumer, Diane Feinstein, and Joe Biden.
And just listen to the rhetoric.
“Illegal immigration is wrong, plain and simple” Chuck Schumer said during a 2009 speech. This was during Obama’s presidency, mind you. “People who enter the United States without our permission are illegal aliens,” he continued. “When we use phrases like ‘undocumented workers,’ we convey a message to the American people that their government is not serious about combating illegal immigration.”
Schumer lists seven principles for immigration reform that are remarkably sensible coming from him.
- Illegal immigration is wrong, and future illegal immigration must be curtailed.
- Control of borders is needed through increased infrastructure (fences, borders), and security personal at the border
- We need an employment verification system to guarantee that all workers hired are in the country legally. This must be strictly enforced with penalties for those who don’t comply.
- For those currently in the country illegally, he proposed requiring them to register with the government and submit to a rigorous process of becoming a legal citizen, or face deportation.
- Reducing illegal immigration will make more room for legal family immigration.
- We must encourage the world’s “best and brightest individuals to come to the United States and create the new technologies and businesses that will employ countless American workers. But we must discourage businesses from using our immigration laws as a means to obtain temporary and less expensive foreign labor to replace capable American workers.”
- In summary: “We must create a system that converts the current flow of primarily low skill illegal immigrants into the United States into a more manageable and controlled flow of legal immigrants who can be absorbed by our economy.”
And just compare that list to Schumer’s rhetoric now.
And now he’s forced a government shutdown over it.
Support Conservative Voices!
Sign up to receive the latest political news, insight, and commentary delivered directly to your inbox.
Share this post if you think Chuck Schumer is a hypocrite!
Read this Next on ThePoliticalInsider.comDem Super PAC Poll Tested Using Dreamer Deal To Shut Down The Government