Politics

George Lopez Finally Responds About Offering to Kill Trump–And The Secret Service Reportedly Has Questions

Comedian George Lopez has finally responded  to the major social media backlash he’s received after he offered to kill President Trump in honor of Iran’s alleged bounty on his head–he says he was just joking!

Just a Joke?

Lopez responded to an Instagram post on Sunday announcing that Iran had put an $80 million bounty on Trump for his ordered airstrike in Baghdad that killed Gen. Qassem Soleimani.

“Iranian authorities have put a bounty on American President Donald Trump’s head during the televised funeral of General #QasemSoleimani after he was assassinated last week. What are your thoughts?” the post read.

George Lopez later wrote, “We’ll do it for half.”

Fox News reported that when they reached out to Lopez for comment, a representative said his remark was just “a joke” and should not be taken seriously or literally.

Lopez’s “half” comment immediately went viral, and the comedian’s name began trending on social media as well as the phrase “arrest George Lopez.”

Some on Twitter even wanted the Secret Service to get involved.

Fox News reported Tuesday that indeed may be happening.

Report: Secret Service Looking Into Lopez Comment

“Comedian George Lopez’s joke about collecting a rumored bounty on Donald Trump’s head has reportedly got the attention of the United States Secret Service,” Fox News reported.

The report continued, “According to TMZ, the Secret Service is aware of the 58-year-old comedian’s online comment and is currently working to determine if there is any legitimate threat behind it.”

“Representatives for the Secret Service were not immediately available for comment,” Fox News noted.

There is Secret Service Precedent Regarding Celebrities Making Death Threats Against Presidents

There would be a precedent for Secret Service involvement over a celebrity making threats against the President, whether they were joking or not.

Just ask Ted Nugent.

“Although many were upset, others were quick to defend the star’s comment and noted that it’s very similar to a past remark made by singer Ted Nugent in 2012, which was investigated by the Secret Service,” notes Fox News. “The singer publicly told President Barack Obama to ‘suck on my machine gun,’ prompting outrage from the left. The authorities investigated Nugent over the comment but eventually deemed the issue resolved with no further action being taken.”

Whether further action is taken by authorities with George Lopez will remain to be seen.

But making such threatening comments in any context is no joking matter.

John Hanson

is a professional writer and editor with over 15 years of experience in conservative media and Republican politics. He has been a special guest on Fox News, Sirius XM, appeared as the guest of various popular personalities, and has had a lifelong interest in right-leaning politics.

Recent Posts

Border Officers Refute Claim That Fentanyl Isn’t Smuggled Into U.S. Between Ports Of Entry

By Bethany Blankley (The Center Square) U.S. Rep. Jamie Raskin, D-Maryland, claimed at a U.S.…

11 hours ago

House Committee Wants to Know Who Bought Hunter Biden’s Art, But Dealer Won’t Say

The art dealer who manages the works of Hunter Biden isn't playing ball with Republicans…

13 hours ago

West Virginia Gov. Jim Justice Looms Over Joe Manchin’s Reelection Bid in New Poll

Joe Manchin always seems to be stuck between a rock and a hard place on…

13 hours ago

Democrat NYC Mayor is Bussing Illegal Immigrants to Canada

It seems like only yesterday that Republican politicians were being accused of racism or even…

14 hours ago

Border Chief: Majority Illegally Entering Tucson Sector Are Single Military Age Men

By Bethany Blankley (The Center Square) What’s portrayed on national television about large family groups…

15 hours ago

The Chinese Spy Balloon Revelations Leave us With Two Scary Scenarios

Here we are, left with yet another news cycle that provides us only a drip…

16 hours ago