At a White House briefing Monday afternoon President Trump said he thought the coronavirus could, worst case scenario, “wash through” the nation by July or August. That is much longer than the mid-April date of a return to normal that was the standard White House line before today.
He also said there were “hotspots” in the nation that could be put under a lockdown, curfew, or quarantine.
In other coronavirus updates:
- The president stated today that the U.S. has “15 days” to stop the spread of the disease in the country. He also said postponing state primary elections is “not necessary.”
- Trump urged people to avoid restaurants and bars, and generally limiting gatherings of more than ten people.
- European public life is shutting down. Most E.U. nations have shut their borders and enacted strict prohibitions against public assemblies.
- Governors across the nation are, by executive action, closing bars, restaurants, schools, gyms, theaters, and other venues until further notice.
- Several states have called out their National Guard units to aid in the fight against the virus.
- Dr. Anthony Fauci, presidential health adviser, said at the press conference this afternoon that the perception of the virus timeline is by definition behind the curve. Hence the alacrity of the situation. Fauci also said vaccine trials have started today with 45 individuals.
- The virus bill now in front of the U.S. Senate could provide financial aid to those affected by the virus.
- The stock market took another dive on Monday, tanking almost 3000 points/13%, stoking fears of recession. This is the biggest drop in three decades. The president said “the market will take care of itself” after the crisis subsides.
- The administration is emphasizing the health threat to older Americans.
- The president says the administration will be”backstopping” the airlines.
- Health authorities are discouraging gatherings of more than ten people.
- Chinese rates of infection and death are dropping, as are those in South Korea. Chinese state media continues to peddle the propaganda that the U.S. Army started the virus. This is to deflect attention away from the Chinese genesis of the coronavirus.
- The administration is “looking very strongly into” deploying the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to fight the coronavirus.
This piece was written by PoliZette Staff on March 16, 2020. It originally appeared in LifeZette and is used by permission.
Read more at LifeZette:
Trump wins another Democrat debate, Biden and Sanders go surreal
Nation of Islam follower admits to killing three people because they were white: ‘I just found some white men to kill’
‘Roseanne’ actress Sandra Bernhard says none of this coronavirus chaos would be happening under ‘rightful president’ Hillary Clinton
Read this Next on ThePoliticalInsider.comBiden Will Choose Female Vice President And Appoint ‘First Black Woman To The Courts’
The opinions expressed by contributors and/or content partners are their own and do not necessarily reflect the views of The Political Insider.