By Adam Andrzejewski for RealClearPolicy
The United States gives $9.7 billion annually to 58 United Nations (UN) accounts.
Our auditors at OpenTheBooks.com compiled these findings in a new oversight report on U.S. foreign aid. The UN system, through 58 funding streams, received taxpayer money that included:
- UN peacekeeping: $1.5 billion in FY2021 for dues, $10.3 billion over the last six years
- UN regular budget: $685.5 million in FY2021 for dues, $2.5 billion over the last 3.5 years
- World Food Program: $2.6 billion in FY2019
- United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees: $1.7 billion in FY2019
- United Nations Children’s Emergency Fund: $833 million in FY2020, $5.9 billion in U.S. funding over 14 years
- World Health Organization: $230 million so far in FY2021, $4.1 billion in U.S. funding over 14 years
- United Nations Relief and Works Agency Palestinian aid: New $150 million in restarted aid announced in 2021, $6.3 billion sent from U.S. taxpayers since 1953
We launched our report on The National Desk at Sinclair Broadcast Group — reaching 190 ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX affiliated TV stations.
This is as congressional republicans introduced legislation to hinder efforts by the Chinese Communist Party and the Kremlin to undermine the U.N. Charter.
The “United Nations Transparency and Accountability Act,” calls out Russia for allegedly manipulating the UN procurement process “to its own benefit” and alleges China “used its leadership roles within the U.N. to block nongovernmental organizations critical of the PRC from being accredited to the U.N,” while its diplomats have “violated U.S. rules.”
Giving $9.7 billion in American taxpayer funds annually to an organization that allows its member states to “engage in malign influence operations” is something the U.S. should reconsider.
Support Conservative Voices!
Sign up to receive the latest political news, insight, and commentary delivered directly to your inbox.
Syndicated with permission from RealClearWire.
The #WasteOfTheDay is presented by the forensic auditors at OpenTheBooks.com.
Read this Next on ThePoliticalInsider.comIvanka Trump ‘Much Less Likely To Stay Loyal’ To Her Dad Than Weisselberg, Mary Trump Alleges
The opinions expressed by contributors and/or content partners are their own and do not necessarily reflect the views of The Political Insider.