Political tensions have been hitting dangerous levels since the FBI raided former President Donald Trump’s Florida home at Mar-a-Lago. The President has been accused of holding sensitive documents which he supposedly should have turned over after becoming a private citizen, according to a highly redacted DOJ affidavit.
Now, as hostile lawmakers and critics lunge to take a piece out of the former POTUS’ freedom and legacy, Republican Senator Lindsey Graham is warning those who are desperately hoping that Trump will be indicted that their wishes might come at a societal cost.
Graham says there will be riots in the streets if Trump is prosecuted pic.twitter.com/oE6MyuqjeA
— Acyn (@Acyn) August 28, 2022
“Most Republicans including me, believe when to comes to Trump, there is no law,” Graham stated on Fox New regarding the “double standard” that certain individuals within federal law enforcement have taken towards Trump, going way back to when he was the GOP nominee in 2016.
“And I’ll say this, if there is a prosecution of Donald Trump for mishandling classified information after the Clinton debacle, there will be riots in the streets,” said Graham. The comparison to the Clinton’s referred to the private server former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton used to conduct official business.
“If they tried to prosecute President Trump for mishandling classified information after Hillary Clinton set up a server in her basement there literally will be riots in the streets. I worry about the country,” Graham concluded.
RELATED: Poll: Americans Skeptical Of DOJ’s Motives In Trump Raid
New York Times Wants Their Pound of Flesh
On Friday of last week, the New York Times editorial board published a piece which called for the indictment of former President Donald Trump.
Support Conservative Voices!
Sign up to receive the latest political news, insight, and commentary delivered directly to your inbox.
The board called for the Attorney General to indict Trump over what they considered to be “sufficient evidence” which would lead to a “serious charge.”
“Mr. Trump’s unprecedented assault on the integrity of American democracy requires criminal investigation,” the board continued. “This board is aware that in deciding how Mr. Trump should be held accountable under the law it is necessary to consider not just whether criminal prosecution would be warranted but whether it would be wise.”
Let it not be forgotten that this is the same New York Times of “Russiagate” fame.
They didn’t only go after Donald Trump when he was in the White House either, they also went after and had to issue retractions regarding their “Russian disinformation” accusations they leveled at Trump’s former attorney Rudy Giuliani.
RELATED: Lookout, GOP: Biden Getting Highest Approval Rating In A Year
Enemies to the Left, Allies to the Right
Some conservative public figures found the timing of the NYT’s editorial oddly suspicious, with some claiming some collusion must have occurred in order to ramp up public opinion potentially in favor of a possible indictment of the former president.
“The NY Times Editorial Board has formally called for the indictment of Donald J. Trump,” tweeted Human Events editor Jack Posobiec. “We are in the midst of a pre-emptive coup.”
BREAKING: The NY Times Editorial Board has formally called for the indictment of Donald J. Trump
We are in the midst of a pre-emptive coup
— Jack Posobiec 🇺🇸 (@JackPosobiec) August 28, 2022
Former Assistant to the Secretary of the Treasury, Monica Crowley, posted to Twitter her theory.
“The DOJ/FBI create a pretext to indict Trump, then leak to The NY Times, which then has its Editorial Board call for Trump’s indictment,” said Crowley. “You’d think they’d get vertigo from their corrupt, circular clustersf*ck.”
The DOJ/FBI create a pretext to indict Trump, then leak to the NY Times, which then has its Editorial Board call for Trump’s indictment.
You’d think they’d get vertigo from their corrupt, circular clusterf*ck
— Monica Crowley (@MonicaCrowley) August 28, 2022
One of the earliest public opponents of Donald Trump, husband of former counselor to the president Kelly Ann Conway and co-founder of the Lincoln Project, George Conway, had his two-cents to toss into the discussion.
“At the rate he’s decompensating, he might not be competent to stand trial when the time comes,” said Conway on Twitter while commenting on a screenshot of a recent statement by Trump posted to his Truth Social platform.
At the rate he's decompensating, he might not be competent to stand trial when the time comes. https://t.co/hed6U61IX0
— George Conway🌻 (@gtconway3d) August 29, 2022
What are your thoughts on this situation? Do you think former President Trump committed any wrong doing or is this an act of political retaliation by his enemies? Let us know in the comments and across social media.
Now is the time to support and share the sources you trust.
The Political Insider ranks #3 on Feedspot’s “100 Best Political Blogs and Websites.”
Read this Next on ThePoliticalInsider.comConservative Group Fights Back: ‘Stop Biden’s Bailout For Rich Kids’
Leave a Comment
COMMENTS POLICY: We have no tolerance for messages of violence, racism, vulgarity, obscenity or other such discourteous behavior. Thank you for contributing to a respectful and useful online dialogue.