The family of 16-year-old Covington Catholic high school student Nicholas Sandmann has hired Georgia attorney L. Lin Wood, who was once described by Dan Rather as an “attorney for the damned.”
Wood specializes in libel and slander cases against the media and has represented high-profile clients such as Richard Jewell, the hero of the Centennial Olympic Park bombing in 1996, who was accused of being the bomber by several media outlets, as well as the family of JonBenet Ramsey.
Jewell, according to a New York Times column about his death, “sued several major news media outlets and won settlements from NBC and CNN.”
Wood “often (seeks) eye-popping damages for those he believes have been libeled or slandered in the press,” states a Washington Post column from when he represented former presidential candidate Herman Cain.
Nicholas Sandmann’s family has hired a top defamation lawyer who specializes in suing the media. Get the checkbooks ready, smear merchants.https://t.co/OPQFVR8QKP
— Phil Kerpen (@kerpen) January 25, 2019
Sandmann Was Smeared
Sandmann, the main focus of the original video showing an alleged confrontation between Covington students and a Native-American man, became the face of the mainstream media’s Trump derangement syndrome.
He had committed the crime of standing in front of Nathan Phillips who walked towards him beating a drum. Actually, his crime was wearing a MAGA hat while this happened – because the media associates anything involving Trump with racism.
The out-of-context video was debunked when subsequent videos from different angles and longer time periods thoroughly exonerated the students from the charges that were leveled against them.
Support Conservative Voices!
Sign up to receive the latest political news, insight, and commentary delivered directly to your inbox.
That didn’t satisfy celebrities and the media.
Former Fox News analyst and current CNN contributor Kirsten Powers continued suggesting the kids were in the wrong, even in the wake of new evidence.
She even suggested that it wasn’t Sandmann and his classmates that were the victims, but rather the media itself.
This @washingtonpost story captures the real lesson of this episode—don’t succumb to orchestrated harassment campaigns against journalists.
“The Covington Catholic story went viral. The mainstream media chased it. The Trump Internet pounced.” https://t.co/Bu3zEeIFpE
— Kirsten Powers (@KirstenPowers) January 23, 2019
Earlier this week, Sunny Hostin and Joy Behar, co-hosts of ‘The View,’ suggested that the Covington kids were to blame for the entire ordeal simply because they decided to wear MAGA hats.
Unhinged comedienne Kathy Griffin went on Twitter and tried doxxing the kids and by extension, making them victims of harassment and possible violence.
Not the First Lawyer
Wood is one of two current lawyers representing kids in the Covington Catholic media smear.
Earlier this week, Attorney Robert Barnes offered up his services for free to sue the New York Times for “obvious libel,” then advised other media entities they had 48-hours to retract similar lies.
The New York Times had run an article with several proven falsehoods about the students, an article which has since been amended with corrections on multiple occasions.
“If you have said anything false about these kids, they are willing to extend you a 48-hour time period … for you to, through confessions, get redemption and retract and correct and apologize,” Barnes warned.
Meanwhile, Wood also has designs on making the media pay for their lies about Sandmann.
“He (Wood) is committed to bringing justice to 16-year-old Nick Sandmann and his family,” family attorney Todd McMurtry said in a press release.
If only the mainstream media were equally interested in facts and justice.
Read this Next on ThePoliticalInsider.comDemocrats Have Voted Down Three Republican Efforts to Pay Federal Workers