I Am Recovering From COVID-19 – This Is What It Was Like

I Am Recovering From COVID-19, Here Is What It Was Like

When people think of someone who has COVID-19, for many, the first image that comes to mind is someone laying in the ICU, on a ventilator, doctors and nurses all around in various stages of hazmat suits. Others might imagine someone with an awful case of the flu or maybe someone who is seemingly healthy with just a sniffle or a loss of smell. 

Unfortunately, all of the above can be, and have been, true.

As the virus mutates, different strains affect us in different ways.

But let me tell you, it’s no picnic to come down with COVID.

Here is the story story of my battle with Omicron.

RELATED: The View’s Sunny Hostin: Clarence Thomas Doesn’t ‘Represent The Black Community’

I Kind Of Knew I Had It

For those of you who might not be regular readers at The Political Insider, my name is Becky Noble, and I am a writer here.

Like most people, I usually get one whopping ‘cold’ a year. You know the one. Where no matter how old you are, you just want your mom to make you some chicken soup. In the past, I’ve had that one bout with illness end up being bronchitis, and I have had it become the flu.

So when I started to experience a scratchy throat and congestion, I thought, “Oh great, here we go.” My first thought was not COVID, but rather, “I don’t have time to be sick.”

As the weekend approached, my husband urged me to call the doctor. I did, and the nurse said I should come in and get tested because “you’ve got all the symptoms of Omicron.” Great.

So I went to be tested at my primary care physician’s office. You hear a lot about that swab being stuck up your nose, too. It does feel like someone is poking your brain. 

The nurse administering the test told me it would take 24-48 hours to get the results. In my case it only took about eight hours. Congratulations, you have given birth to a case of COVID.

‘Quarantine for five days then wear a mask where ever you go for five days,’ the nurse told me.

RELATED: NY Rep. Calls For Biden To Be Impeached After Police Video Shows Feds Flying Illegal Immigrants Into NY

I Felt Fine At First…

At first I thought I might just get lucky. Aside from the scratchy throat I felt OK that first night.

Things started to go south the next day. Some have experienced shortness of breath and other respiratory symptoms.

I am lucky to say I did not experience those things. I had some of the classic ‘flu’ type symptoms, like fever, chills, and aches. The nurse told me those are common in Omicron as well. Along with that, another set of issues of the gastrointestinal sort. 

By the next day, all I wanted to do was sleep. Take a shower, I thought. It will make you feel a little bit better. By the time I was done, I was exhausted. 

That was also the day COVID decided food would not be a good idea, and some pretty serious nausea set in.

On Monday, my doctor called and said I was a candidate for monoclonal antibodies if I was interested. In my state I wasn’t overly curious as to why I was a candidate – but being diabetic, I was at more risk of serious complications from the virus.

So, yes Doc, if it will shorten the time I feel like this, I am definitely interested.

The next day I went to a clinic run by one of the area hospitals. The process to get in and actually receive monoclonal antibodies was less than organized, but I hung in there until they called me in.

It was painless and really did not take too long. I was given an IV infusion from a small 50ml bag of fluid. It took about 30 minutes for the whole bag to infuse. Once that part was complete I was taken to a waiting room where I was monitored for an hour to make sure there were no reactions. 

It took a full 24 hours, but by Wednesday evening I was feeling much better. The intense nausea started to go away and I was able to eat a bit. 

RELATED: Biden Reveals The Deadline For His Supreme Court Pick  

A Long Surreal Week

When I asked the nurse at my doctor’s office, pre-monoclonal antibodies, when I might start to feel better, her answer was there is no timeline, everyone is different. I have heard some take as long as four weeks before they start to feel 100% “normal” again.

I believe that. I feel pretty good, but can’t shake the cough and the tickle in the throat. I am told that is the last thing to go. I still do not have a lot of smell or taste back yet. 

While I still think much of what has gone on with COVID is very political, I also know it is nothing to play with. I have never been so sapped of strength before in my life.

And thankfully, I am on the mend.

I think we should do what we are always advised to do at this time of year. Wash your hands. If you are sick stay at home, the world will get along just fine without you for a few days. Take some vitamins. It might not prevent you from getting sick, but it can’t hurt. 

[totalpoll id=”248138″]

Mentioned in this article::