Quantcast
Skip to main content



This site works best in IE9 and up and in other modern web browsers

Covington Catholic Student Nick Sandmann Reaches Settlement Agreement From CNN After $275 Million Lawsuit

Nick Sandmann, the Covington Catholic High School student who found himself in the middle of a fabricated national controversy last year, reportedly has received a settlement from CNN after suing the cable outlet for smearing him.

Undisclosed Settlement

Fox 19 reported, “CNN agreed Tuesday to settle a lawsuit with Covington Catholic student Nick Sandmann. The amount of the settlement was not made public during a hearing at the federal courthouse in Covington.”

Sandmann also filed $250 million lawsuits against The Washington Post and NBC Universal and is also reportedly planning to “sue Gannett, owners of The Enquirer.”

Todd McMurtry and Lin Wood, Sandmann’s attorneys,  filed a $275 million lawsuit against CNN in March 2019 in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky.

‘CNN was probably more vicious in its direct attacks on Nicholas than The Washington Post’

“CNN was probably more vicious in its direct attacks on Nicholas than The Washington Post. And CNN goes into millions of individuals’ homes,” Wood said on Mark Levin’s Fox News program last year. “CNN couldn’t resist the idea that here’s a guy with a young boy, that Make America Great Again cap on. So they go after him.”

“They really went after Nicholas with the idea that he was part of a mob that was attacking the Black Hebrew Israelites, yelling racist slurs at the Black Hebrew Israelites. Totally false,” Wood continued. “Now you say you’ve seen the tape; if you took the time to look at the full context of what happened that day, Nicholas Sandmann did absolutely nothing wrong. He was, as I’ve said to others, he was the only adult in the room.”

McMurtry told anchor Fox News anchor Sandra Smith last year, “Well, what CNN’s tagline is facts first. And what we believe their reporting was in this circumstance was lies first; cover up second, and facts not yet determined by that organization.”

“So the difference between this lawsuit and the other lawsuit that we have filed is that CNN is a very significant media organization with a much broader reach than say the Washington Post,” he continued. “It has a Twitter followers of 41 million people. It published four videos. Nine online articles that were tweeted out. So that’s millions and millions and millions of repetitions of the lies and falsehoods that CNN spread.”

‘So the facts were not first, the lies were’

“Well, we’ve talked about the impact the impact on Nicholas Sandmann a number of times and it — it is significant,” McMurtry went on. “Nicholas Sandmann was a 16 year old man who had a perfect reputation. He was loved by his parents, respected at his school, and had many good friends at Covington Catholic High School. So he was a person that was doing very well in life and due to his strong character, he still is. But never the less, his character has now been determined by the lies issued by CNN.”

“So the facts were not first, the lies were,” McCurty said.

All in all, Sandmann’s lawyers are eyeing 54 news outlets, organizations and indivduals for potential legal action.