In a stunning turn of events, two men interviewed by the Senate Judiciary Committee suggested Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh may have simply been a victim of mistaken identity.
A statement released by Committee Republicans late Wednesday indicated that on Monday they spoke: “with a man who believes he, not Judge Kavanaugh, had the encounter with Dr. Ford in 1982 that is the basis of his complaint.”
Ford had offered the initial accusation – the only one with even a slight whiff of possible truth – alleging that Kavanaugh sexually assaulted her in 1982 at a high school party.
The release of her polygraph letter on Wednesday cast serious doubt on her claims, while this new information is set to rock the political world as Ford and Kavanaugh both prepare to testify about the incident.
Grassley’s office says the committee has talked to two men who think they, not Kavanaugh, had the alleged “encounter” with Ford. pic.twitter.com/bmD4dvTAkr
— Arnie Seipel, NPR (@NPRnie) September 27, 2018
A second interview was conducted with the man who later provided the Judiciary with a “more in-depth written statement.”
Reports indicate that a second man was interviewed by phone. That man also believes he may have been confused with Kavanaugh.
Senate Judiciary Rs release a Kavanaugh investigative summary that includes:
-an anonymous claim of rape fwded by Harris’ office
-two intvus & a written statement from a man “who believes he, not” Kav, assaulted Ford in 1982
-phone intvu w/a 2nd man who believes same as above
— Elana Schor (@eschor) September 27, 2018
Support Conservative Voices!
Sign up to receive the latest political news, insight, and commentary delivered directly to your inbox.
The news comes just hours after Ford’s story began to crumble when her polygraph letter indicated she couldn’t keep the number of people in attendance at the party straight, while simultaneously revealing she must have flown to the examination after previously stating she could not fly out of fear of enclosed spaces.
A theory had been floated online days ago suggesting Ford may have mistaken her assailant for Kavanaugh.
“There is zero chance that I would confuse them,” she claimed.
Since Ford’s accusations have slowly begun falling apart, Democrat operatives have been gathering even more questionable accusers to throw at Kavanaugh.
That culminated Wednesday night when NBC News reported, without a shred of evidence to indicate truth behind the matter, that a “fourth accuser” had written a letter to Senator Cory Gardner (R-CO).
BREAKING: Senate Judiciary Commitee probing new allegation of physical assault against Kavanaugh. He denies. More from the whole @NBCNews Hill team, incl @LACaldwellDC @frankthorp @mikememoli + @HeidiPrzybyla —> https://t.co/ckcoPMczXf
— Kasie Hunt (@kasie) September 26, 2018
The letter, of course, was not signed, did not name names, and provided only generalizations about an incident that never happened.
“We’re dealing with an anonymous letter about an anonymous person and an anonymous friend,” Kavanaugh said. “It’s ridiculous. Total Twilight Zone. And no, I’ve never done anything like that.”
President Trump responded to the Democrats’ latest efforts to stall or stop the confirmation of Kavanaugh to the nation’s highest court with fire and fury.
“They’re actually con artists because they know how quality this man is, and they’ve destroyed a man’s reputation and they want to destroy it even more … And they know it’s a big, fat con job,” he railed. “And they go into a room and I guarantee you, they laugh like hell at what they’ve pulled off on [the media] and on the public.”
They’ve pulled it off on the media because they’ll believe anything they hope to be true. But they haven’t fooled the public, Mr. President.
Read this Next on ThePoliticalInsider.comTwo Glaring Contradictions Arise From Kavanaugh Accuser’s Polygraph Letter