An unlikely source has emerged in helping to dispel claims made in an anti-Trump hit piece published by the Atlantic Thursday evening – John Bolton.
The Atlantic published a ‘story’ that would have been dismissed in most outlets with any integrity due to a serious lack of factual information. In it, they cited anonymous sources claiming President Trump referred to America’s fallen soldier heroes as “suckers” and “losers.”
If you read the piece, it sounds like something written by a person who was caught screaming and crying outside of Trump’s inauguration years ago, if they had been asked to imagine what the President is like behind the scenes.
In addition to the aforementioned shocking assertions, the Atlantic column starts off with a claim that the President did not want to visit the Aisne-Marne American Cemetery near Paris in 2018, because “his hair would become disheveled in the rain” and that “he did not believe it important to honor American war dead.”
The piece cites four nameless, faceless, anonymous sources.
“It’s a total lie; it’s fake news,” he told reporters. “It’s a disgrace, and frankly its a disgrace to your profession.”
The Atlantic Magazine is dying, like most magazines, so they make up a fake story in order to gain some relevance. Story already refuted, but this is what we are up against. Just like the Fake Dossier. You fight and and fight, and then people realize it was a total fraud!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) September 4, 2020
RELATED: President Trump Outraged Over Report Claiming He Mocked Fallen Soldiers
Bolton’s Own Words Refute Atlantic
In his book, “The Room Where It Happened,” former national security adviser John Bolton, who wrote from the aspect of a scorned former member of the administration, confirms what the Atlantic denies.
“The ceiling was not too low for Marines to fly in combat, but flying POTUS was obviously something very different,” Bolton wrote.
He explains that the weather and logistics created “an unacceptable risk that we could not get the President out of France quickly enough in case of an emergency,” and that made it “a straightforward decision to cancel the visit.”
“Trump agreed,” recalled Bolton, “and it was decided that others would drive to the cemetery instead.”
Support Conservative Voices!
Sign up to receive the latest political news, insight, and commentary delivered directly to your inbox.
No mention of hair to be found.
He made sure to note that it was the media at the time who concocted a story about Trump’s personal concern regarding the rain.
“The press turned canceling the cemetery visit into a story that Trump was afraid of the rain and took glee in pointing out that other world leaders traveled around during the day,” he said.
This seems like a pretty rock solid rebuttal to the Atlantic piece. It’s not like John Bolton was doing Trump any favors in his memoir. https://t.co/d7gGdh4s5J
— Josh Holmes (@HolmesJosh) September 4, 2020
In addition to Bolton’s recollection of events from that day, a White House email proves that a “bad weather call” was the reason for the canceled presidential trip to Aisne-Marne American cemetery.
White House official has sent an image of redacted email apparently showing “bad weather call” was indeed cause of Trump not attending Aisne-Marne American Cemetery in 2018.
Dan Scavino and Stephen Miller were also both there – and deny Atlantic storyhttps://t.co/jQNgHX0Fd7 pic.twitter.com/Gzre4oYEs9
— Rob Crilly (@robcrilly) September 4, 2020
RELATED: Antifa Mourns As Portland Shooting Suspect Who Gunned Down Trump Supporter Is Killed By Feds
Come Forward, Cowards
Meanwhile, the anonymous sources claiming President Trump disparaged fallen soldiers are under fire, being urged to come forward and put their names to their accusations, rather than hiding behind the Atlantic like cowards.
“The sources in the Atlantic story should go on the record, if they want people to believe them over Trump,” CBS News reporter Kathryn Watson tweeted. “Otherwise, the president’s supporters will largely disbelieve this story.”
Seriously, @JeffreyGoldberg piece is important and terrific reporting. Where the hell were these sources when it happened? Did I miss the part where any of those who heard the President attack war heroes quit in protest, or went on the record to tell us about this now?
— Susan Glasser (@sbg1) September 4, 2020
You know full-well why the anonymous sources didn’t go on record or quit in protest – because it never happened. How do we know? Because several people who had direct knowledge of the situation actually put their names to their statements, and strongly refuted the article.
- “The Atlantic story is completely false. Absolutely lacks merit. I’ve been by the President’s side. He has always shown the highest respect to our active duty troops and veterans with utmost respect paid to those who have given the ultimate sacrifice and those wounded in battle.” – Lt. General Keith Kellogg (Ret.), National Security Adviser for Vice President Pence.
- “The Atlantic story on [President Trump] is total BS. I was actually there and one of the people part of the discussion – this never happened.” – Sarah Huckabee Sanders, former White House Press Secretary.
- “This is not even close to being factually accurate. Plain and simple, it just never happened.” – Jordan Karem, Personal Aide to President Trump.
And the list goes on and on …
My response to the horrible lies from anonymous “sources” in the Atlantic: pic.twitter.com/uHtgJvrwCb
— J. Hogan Gidley (@JHoganGidley) September 4, 2020
I was with POTUS in France, with Sarah, and have been at his side throughout it all. Complete lies by “anonymous sources” that were “dropped” just as he begins to campaign (and surge). A disgraceful attempt to smear POTUS, 60 days before the Presidential Election! Disgusting!! https://t.co/mQfCNUlyZm
— Dan Scavino (@DanScavino) September 4, 2020
Again, this is 100% false. I was next to @POTUS the whole day! The President was greatly disappointed when told we couldn’t fly there. He was incredibly eager to honor our Fallen Heroes. https://t.co/8YZlWS83I3
— Jordan Karem (@JordanKarem1) September 4, 2020
Meadows says he spoke to aides who were with Trump on the France trip in 2018, including senior adviser Stephen Miller and Tony Ornato, then the head of the presidential protective detail, “who I just spoke to really just pushed back very hard” on the Atlantic reporting.
— Jennifer Jacobs (@JenniferJJacobs) September 4, 2020
In the time that I’ve known @realDonaldTrump, both as a member of Congress and most recently serving as his Chief of Staff, I’ve seen publicly and privately how he treats our men and women in uniform. I’ve personally accompanied him to Walter Reed and veterans events of all…
— Mark Meadows (@MarkMeadows) September 4, 2020
I see President @realDonaldTrump consistently express his heartfelt gratitude and absolute admiration for our brave men and women in uniform.
Just yesterday, he was truly humbled to be in the presence of our courageous World War II veterans.
This Atlantic story is garbage!
— Kayleigh McEnany (@PressSec) September 4, 2020
Nothing short of a complete retraction of the article is appropriate until and unless the Atlantic can actually get one of these anonymous resistance warriors to come forward and repeat their claims.
Read this Next on ThePoliticalInsider.com‘Angry Salon Customers’ Protest By Hanging Blow Dryers Outside Nancy Pelosi’s Home
Leave a Comment
COMMENTS POLICY: We have no tolerance for messages of violence, racism, vulgarity, obscenity or other such discourteous behavior. Thank you for contributing to a respectful and useful online dialogue.