President Trump Demurs on Sending Sayfullo Saipov to Guantanamo Bay

trump gitmo
WASHINGTON, DC - NOVEMBER 1: President Donald Trump speaks during a Cabinet Meeting in the Cabinet Room at the White House in Washington, DC on Tuesday, Nov. 01, 2017. (Photo by Jabin Botsford/The Washington Post via Getty Images)

We’ve seen two huge updates on the NYC Islamic terror attack this morning.

The FBI is rightly treating Monday’s truck attack in New York City as a terror attack. Sayfullo Saipov, a 29-year-old ISIS devotee, drove a Home Depot truck into pedestrians, killing eight. He left a note in the truck reading “ISIS lives forever” in Arabic, and shouted “Allahu Akbar” as he fled his vehicle, before being shot in the stomach. He survived the shot, and reportedly boasted about his attack while in hospital care.

Another man was initially sought in connection to the attack.

Authorities also said briefly they were looking for another suspect, as 32-year-old Muhammad Kadirov. They indicated that he was sought in connection with their investigation of the attack, but they didn’t give any indication of what role they thought he played, and whether or not he was present at the scene of the attack. Less than an hour after announcing that they were looking for him, federal officials called the search off. “We believed he had information related to yesterday, but we are not looking for that individual any longer,” said FBI Assistant Director in Charge William F. Sweeney Jr., adding, “We have found him, and I’ll leave it at that.”

Saipov spoke on his cellphone to people in Florida and New Jersey in the hours before the attack, but it’s unclear if they were related to the attack.

Acting U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York Joon Kim also formally announced yesterday that Saipov would be charged with federal terrorism charges.

According to TownHall, “Kim said Saipov committed this attack in support of ISIS, and that the evidence is laid out in complaint. Among the evidence to support this claim, there was a note recovered near the truck, which declared Saipov’s support of the terrorist organization. Also, a search warrant was executed on the bag of cell phones he was carrying, showing thousands of ISIS messages and nearly 90 videos showing soldiers of the Islamic State engaging in beheadings, running over people in tanks, and shooting them in the face. Saipov was inspired to commit this attack by watching these videos. He had been planning to do this for two months, and rented a truck to practice his turns that would allow him to commit this attack in New York City. This practice run occurred on October 22.”

As a result of terrorism charges, Saipov could face the death penalty if prosecutors seek it. President Trump has already called for the death penalty of Saipov. And he also made a surprising about-face, walking back his initial desire to send Saipov to Guantanamo Bay. Now it looks like the President is considering keeping Saipov locked up on American soil:

What do you think? Is Trump right? Should Saipov be tried and kept on American soil? Does he deserve the death penalty? Tell us your thoughts below and share this article over Facebook now!

By Matt

Matt is the co-founder of Unbiased America and a freelance writer specializing in economics and politics. He’s been published... More about Matt

Mentioned in this article::