Mariana Harrison moved into her first apartment years ago. But her father gave her important advice at that time, and she’s always remembered it.
Mariana is a Texas-based real estate agent, and shared on Facebook details of how most apartment door screws are only a half-inch long. That means they are EASILY kicked in by a criminal thug.
Her father changed those screws to 4 inch screws, which make is far more difficult – or impossible – to kick a door down.
That is fatherly advice she will never forget!
Here is her Facebook post, which compares the two screws. WOW!
This is important for every apartment renter to know, as more than 60% of all burglaries involve forcible entries.
Here is a list of important robbery-preventing tips you should also keep in mind:
* Lock all outside doors and windows before you leave the house or go to bed. Even if it is for a short time, lock your doors.
* Leave lights on when you go out. If you are going to be away for a length of time, connect some lamps to automatic timers to turn them on in the evening and off during the day.
*Don’t allow daily deliveries of mail, newspapers or flyers build up while you are away. Arrange with the Post Office to hold your mail, or arrange for a friend or neighbor to take them regularly.
Arrange for your lawn to be mowed if you are going away for an extended time.
* Pushbutton locks on doorknobs are easy for burglars to open. Install deadbolt locks on all your outside doors.
* Sliding glass doors are vulnerable. Special locks are available for better security.
* Other windows may need better locks. Check with a locksmith or hardware store for alternatives.
If you live in an apartment or know someone who does, make sure to check and change those screws and be shore to share this story with them!