Fans were outraged when ABC canceled Tim Allen’s popular sitcom “Last Man Standing” earlier this year, and now the network is speaking out.
ABC Entertainment president Channing Dungey said Sunday that, “Politics had absolutely nothing to do with the cancellation”:
“Politics had absolutely nothing to do with it — we have actors on our shows who have all sorts of different political views,” Dungey said at the Television Critics Association’s summer press tour on Sunday.
“Tim Allen is a valuable part of the Disney ABC family and has been for a very, very long time,” she continued. “‘Last Man Standing’ was a show that, several years running, kind of came up to the very end in terms of the renewal, which was the same case this year.”
Allen tweeted that he was “blindsided” when ABC announced they would not renew the show after six seasons. It became popular among conservatives as Allen, a Trump supporter, often used it as a platform to promote conservative views and sentiments.
As for why the show was canceled, Dungey said ABC simply couldn’t find room for it in the 2017-18 TV schedule. Unfortunately, this means conservative representation will be very thin on cable television this year.
Share this if you think ABC – or another network – should bring back “Last Man Standing”!